Canada is home to a large immigrant population who are looking for jobs almost on a regular basis. The manufacturing as well as the construction sectors on the other hand is facing a shortage of unskilled and semi-skilled labourers, hence losing out on productivity. It makes sense to join forces therefore and harness the power of the available pool of talent i.e. the immigrants.
Who makes up the talent pool?
The immigrants who have left their mother land due to a host of issues and made Canada their home
The people who have been forced to flee from their own countries due to hostile conditions and have been accepted by the Canadian Government
Both these groups can be hired for general labour jobs Toronto. The Government also provides incentives as well as various initiatives for the refugees and wants them to be incorporated into the job market.
The Pros & Cons of hiring immigrants
There are a number of skilled people among the immigrants who can definitely make a difference. Sadly, most of them do not have the language skills and struggle to fit into a culture that is alien to them.
Process of integrating the immigrants into the workforce
- You need to provide the immigrants willing to take up general labour jobs with WHMIS/MSDS documents along with diverse training programs translated into their local language so that they can understand the safety norms and worker’s health code.
- It also helps to locate an existing employee who comes from the same culture as the new workers. Allow him to double up as an ambassador and help the newbies to learn the ropes properly
- Having an interpreter or a translator on board is a huge bonus as well. Make sure that an existing employee who speaks the language of the new recruits is able to converse and train them. However, you need to give an incentive to the willing employee who takes on the additional role of a translator and trainer.
- There are several classes that teach varied skills essential to work. There are multiple Government sponsored language classes as well. You simply need to nudge your immigrant workforce in that direction that will help to be at par with the regular labour force. Be sure to reward the ones who manage to master the newly acquired skills and show your appreciation by promoting them up by a step.
How to find immigrant talent?
It is essential to prepare your existing workforce for the new recruitments and make sure that there is no bad blood between the two groups on account of cultural mismatch. It is then time to post the vacancy details at:-
- Multiple community centers
- Centers that cater to diverse cultures
- College notice boards
- Education centers
- You have an interesting workforce that brings multiple cultures and diverse skills to the company
- You and your manufacturing unit is providing huge support to a community by providing them with general labour jobs Toronto
- You can reduce our training costs drastically by applying for the available Governmental incentives
- You get to fill all the vacancies with an available pool of talent